Who we are
The South African Military Ombud is an independent institution that was established through the Military Ombud Act of 2012. The Office mandate to investigate and ensure that complaints against the SANDF are resolved in a fair, economical and expeditious manner.
The Military Ombud Act No 4 of 2012 mandates the Office of the Military Ombud to investigate complaints lodged in writing against the SANDF from current and former members of the Defence Force, regarding their conditions of service, as well as members of the public regarding the official conduct of a member of the Defence Force.
“A world leading independent and impartial Military Ombud institution.”
“To provide an independent, impartial and expeditious complaints resolution process for serving and former members of the SANDF and the Public to promote good governance”
The core values in support of the mission of the Office of the Military Ombud include the following:
- Accountability - We are responsible for our decisions and actions.
- Confidentiality - We ensure all information is treated with discretion.
- Commitment - We are dedicated to achieving the objectives of the organization.
- Impartiality - We aim for fairness by striking a balance between conflicting interest and rights.
- Professionalism - We aim to provide highest quality service to all stakeholders.
- Integrity - We value ethical conduct and honesty.